Sicky Sick


Getting sick is not fun but being sick in a foreign country is 100% worse.  Nothing is familiar and you feel trapped with not knowing where to go to get help.  About two weeks ago I spent 4 days in bed sick with the flu. Thankfully I had brought lots of vitamins and advil to help me feel better.  I did feel better, a whole lot better, that I decided I needed to do some laundry on Saturday. The water was like ice and many times I had to stop to thaw out my hands in the sun.  The nights here in the mountains are cold and each morning there is a layer of thick frost clinging to everything.  Last Sunday, we felt our room was overwhelmingly cold but nothing of it until the next morning when one of the children pointed out that our window was open.  Well, between cold water and being chilled an entire night, it was too much for my body to handle as it hadn’t completely recovered from the first cold. Jon, the great husband that he is, took it upon himself to move us from the orphanage to Cusco into a hotel.


The 1st thing we thought about was what to eat. We wanted something familiar something from home.  Jon found Instant Quaker Oatmeal (made in Canada!), Pringles, Ichiban Noodles and lots of yummy fruit.
Laying on the hotel bed wasn’t making me any better in fact I got worse and worse struggling to stay warm between each wave of chills that pulsated throughout my body.  Our good friends here suggested I see a doctor and he made the call that evening. This doctor is a friend to Jaime and is also a leader in our church here in Cusco, he is a young man who studied to be a surgeon and specializes in Altitude and Hyperbaric Medicine.  He asked us to come in 30 minutes and never charged us for his time.  The clinic was incredibly clean and pristine.  Beautiful white tiled floors and modern equipment everywhere.  He was very patient and kind with his assessment giving me all the time I needed.
His conclusion…
I have the beginnings of bronchitis.
The prescription?   
Antibiotic: Levofloxacin
Ibuprofen
Antihistamine and Antiinflamitory: Dexalor (includes Loratadine and Dexamethasone)
Expectorant: English Ivy


A very interesting cocktail but I was willing to do anything to feel normal again, I hadn’t eaten in days and Jon says my face looks noticeably thinner.  It has been 5 days on those meds and I feeling almost human again! I am able to eat and sit up for longer periods. At least long enough to write this. 

The hotel staff have been excellent; they do all that they can to make sure our stay is as comfortable as possible.  We have a great rate of about 8 dollars a day with access to wash our clothes, hot water and free wifi. Originally we had two single beds that we pushed together and a tiny table but as soon as the double bed came available they moved it into our room with an additional larger table and set up everything so beautifully.   We also have two sets of parents who check on us know and then. Jaime and his wife, Roxanna ( who works for Generations) and  Alciedes and his wife ( the owner of Azul Wasi). They all have made sure we are comfortable and call us their hijos ( children). I love it!!
Well  I’ve used up my energy so it is off to bed for now!
Take Care and Don’t get Sick!!!

Comments

Popular Posts