Another Day in Paradise, Part 2


This past week we have had the wonderful opportunity to spend time with family and friends. I've been able to reconnect with my nephew who went from baby to little boy over night. It's been a year since I've seen my family so this was a much needed trip before we head off to South America. I must add, even though Victoria is incredibly beautiful as you will see in the pictures to come, it is about the people. Tofield is the same way, although the scenery is a bit lacking but the people are wonderful; we have so many good friends that have become so dear to me. After we sold our house we've been living with my in-laws and I have to say, they are amazing people too!


On to our Victoria adventures...


This week we jogged up to Island View Beach which took us an hour. Later that day we spent 3 hours hiking, jogging and frolicking up Mt. Newton. Filled with beautiful old-growth Douglas firs and Garry Oaks, the fern covered forest invited us in, blanketing us with thick green moss. Forest nymphs again, my niece and I played in the brush while Jon laughed and took pictures.

The next day I was a bit sore so it was a quiet day resting until we drove up to Lake Cowichan ( about 1 1/2 hrs north) to watch my brother's youngest play baseball. I love my brother, it was good to visit with him and his boys.








Yesterday we hiked Mt. Doug, which is the largest and most magnificent park in Saanich. Trails are lined with lush ferns and wildflowers towered by huge Douglas fir, Ceder and Arbutus trees. At the top there is a 360 degree lookout with spectacular views of the ocean, downtown Victoria and the Olympic mountains in Washington State. Again with my niece in tow we discovered a cave that was about 50 ft long on the side of the mountain. After we scrambled the mountain face to the summit. 

My legs were shaking while we scaled the rock face and many times I thought I was  stuck, with no energy to go up and too scared to go down. In the end we made it, safely!








Comments

  1. Ahh I miss my home and my family!! Although, Idaho does have the best looking sagebrush I have ever seen. I don't know how I'll ever be able to part with it once this semester is over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts